I've had a request to show the photo I took by the sea that is under the heading of the blog ...
I was just waiting to use the computer, sitting in the living room listening to some Samoan Saints singing in the chapel just outside our compound. They were singing "I Believe in Christ" in their own language and I was feeling very privileged to be hearing it and I checked my ipod for email. A letter from Nancy Bullock in Malawa stated how she felt listening to her Saints singing "I Believe in Christ" in church and how she felt that no matter where we are in the church, however humble the circumstances, we are all the same, etc. What a wonderful moment for me to read her words while I was experiencing the exact same thing!
Sundays are a special day - no matter where you live. Here the air is very smoky as their umus (outdoor ovens) are cooking their Sunday food and people all over the island, of many religions, are walking down the roads to church. I was reading in the Liahona today about the woman at the well and how she had to make a real effort to get her water. We just turn on the tap and voila! - it is there. Some people think religion should be the same - just turn a tap, but really, we need to walk a distance and do a little work to get the benefits of the gospel.
I really wonder if flowers and a tablecloth in RS are an important part of learning because even in a small chapel at the back of the island they have them! The chapels here always have beautiful arrangements of local greenery and flowers. Singing is a real treat as most of the people don't read music - they just have a wonderful sense of harmony. When I try to sing the alto, I am often swept along with their harmony that is nice, but not what I am used to. The classrooms at the chapels have louvered windows that are open to the outside and the sound of the children singing in primary is such a soul soothing experience. The men here often wear an iefaitaga - a dressy lava lava made from suit material and has pockets. Roy looks very dashing and comfy in his! (maybe I can sneak a photo sometime!) We hope to be able to attend our assigned ward next week - we have been visiting/teaching computers for the past 4 weeks in other wards. At least wherever we go, we can partake of the sacrament and I get a lot of scripture reading done!
Amuia Nonu is our 80 year old friend, dating back to Roy's original mission. We attended his birthday party a couple of weeks ago and I snapped a really nice shot of him that we had made into a photograph. We purchased a frame for it and took it out to him yesterday. Well, the tears just flowed down his cheeks. He is such a humble man and all our family who has visited here are still special in his heart. He shows us so much love - and that is the most important thing we can share with these lovely people.
Lawn mowing is a big venture around here. They have weed eaters and a few mowers and they love the noise of the machines. They will walk from one work area to another with the weed eater still going and revving it as they walk. To keep the sun off, they are quite creative in what they wear - I would suffocate having a t-shirt wrapped around my head or the overalls they sometimes wear. I am just glad I don't have to cut the lawn in such hot weather. Here is one of the gardeners with a rake.
Dogs - they must be the national animal of Samoa. They are a little healthier (on the whole) than other times we have been here but their habits don't change. They sleep all day and laze around the edges of the roads. We have decided they sleep all day because they are up all night running in packs and creating a tremendous noise! Don't the locals have trouble sleeping through the noise???? I am grateful for ear plugs!
The AhMu Academy has hired a new principal who will begin at the first of August. I will continue to spend some time reading and singing with the lower levels and see if he wants any particular direction taken.
We took a drive up on the hillside last night and saw this tattoo studio - hmmmm, quaint, yes?
The clerk training continues and there are always times when Roy goes over the island and the clerk doesn't show up - but most times they do and he is feeling some success there. The Bishops in those areas are so nice and it is nice to get to know them. We are also getting to know the couples here a little more and have spent some social time (out to dinner and having some over here for dinner) which helps with some of the lonely hours.
Tomorrow we are going to Savaii for two days to check out some membership records - our first trip over there this time. We love Savaii. We should have some different tales to tell next blog.




Thanks for the photo. It is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLove your entries! Thank you.
ReplyDelete