We sure enjoyed having Elder Johnson with us. When we were waiting at the airport at Fagalii for his parents flight to come in from Pago on Tuesday am, he was so nervous. It was fun to watch as he wouldn’t go and watch them come up the hallway – he stayed behind the door and waited for them to come out. They are a lovely family and he is so lucky to share his mission with them. His father was actually in a white shirt and tie and took Roy aside and said he (as a member of the stake presidency) was authorized to release him. It didn’t surprise us a bit that when we saw them at the end of the week when he came to pick up his suitcase, etc. that he had chosen to not be released until he got home.
![]() |
| Jackie (left), Rosalee and Janet - friends from our ward |
Our stake choir festival on Thursday night was so fun. We were all sitting in our choirs as wards and it filled the gym at the Lotopa Stake Center. I was so happy to be singing! It was our temple night so I left a couple of hours early. As the assistant coordinator, I really wasn’t missed so that was ok. There was so much enthusiasm in each choir and it was fun! Our bishop used to be the organist for a congregational church before he joined the LDS Church. Well, he plays fantastic – by ear and wrote this song that he taught us – words only, no notes, which was hard on me. I did have Brother Merrell video it for me as Roy was still at the temple.
![]() |
| Evelina - my singing buddy |
Stake Conference Weekend – Saturday night session for those 18 and over – very nice and it was exciting to see some of the young men who have received mission calls bear their testimonies (and one sister too). Three of them were in English – hooray for us – we could understand perfectly. We had Brother Fuimaono translate and we had earphones, but there was a lot of static and when he sneezed – oh my goodness! It is so nice for them to supply translation and we sure appreciate their abilities. Today was the general session and we had the same translator but Brother Tauiliili spelled him off half way. Would you believe it poured with rain and rain on a tin roof is very noisy. We could hear it for real and the microphone for the translation picked it up as well so it was unbelievably noisy. The main theme last night was “Have I done any good in the world today” and today’s emphasized very strongly teaching your children well and stopping the behaviors that are becoming acceptable but are interrupting the spirit – ie – cell phones, music, dvd’s. Out of wedlock parenthood was also addressed and it was nice to hear the concern of the brethren.
![]() |
| The end of our street and the flame tree - beautiful |
As soon as it was over, we left with the Hansons for the airport and picked up Elder & Sister Burton. They are lovely people and I think we will enjoy this week with them. We had a dinner here at our home for them and the Webers came over for dessert after. Soon the Gouldings drove by and came in for a visit and it was so fun! I loved having them all over.
We have a cute little Christmas tree on our end table – Sister Leota gave it to us this week and I also found a string of lights and some garlands that I have on the piano, etc.
I love having the lights on and listening to Christmas music. Actually, music and the lights of Christmas bring the spirit to me and when we read the Christmas story from the Bible, it is complete. We have a lovely Christmas card from the First Presidency that was on our desk at the service center this week and it is a calm, beautifully portrayed nativity and it makes up for the lack of nativities in my life this year. For those of you who don’t know, I have a couple of dozen nativities that make my Christmas special at home.
| Elder Walker - the ultimate missionary shoes, filled with shoe goo! |
We have our Seniors FHE tonight and Elder Doctor Burton will be presenting the lesson and we will have Christmas caroling (I am leading that). The Avei's last time with us is tonight as they leave for the mainland on Friday. They have been the financial couple and are really delightful. We only meet twice a month but will have a dinner on Dec. 23 (Friday) to commemorate Christmas together. I think we will have a couple of people over for dinner on the actual 25th. We will have island Christmas conferences with all the missionaries and we will be going to the Savaii one and the Upolu one. I think by the time we are done, we will have had more Christmas celebrations that we usually do at home. Our ward one is next Saturday at Matareva Beach but we will be in Savaii and will miss it.
Well, time to close - we love and miss you all.





I am glad to hear that you are actually getting some Christmas decor and spirit!! I went to the Messiah on Saturday and thought of you. Too bad I didn't appreciate the Messiah as much when you were singing in it but it was nice to remember your love for it!
ReplyDelete