This past week I have helped Afalua with lunches for Zone conferences. She works really hard in the kitchen on those days and I like to help if it is needed (she does have others than come too). I was busy with the phone bill this past week. I look for someone who is 100% - no calls between 10:30 pm and 6:30 am and no calls longer than 10 minutes. I give a treat to them to try to encourage good behavior. Well, no treats this month. There is one very sociable little female missionary who has many calls coming her way and for a long time - interesting.
![]() |
| a view of the temple from the back |
Hatu asked this week if I will help with the PEF. I need to learn a fair bit about it but it will be mainly tracking down people and recording in their online files that they have been spoken to, etc. We have a meeting next week with the many people involved so I will try to catch on a little to know exactly what I am going to do that won't interfere with what others are doing. The Gertsch's are a new couple for Magiagi Institute and will be working in this area as well.
Friday night we went out to dinner with the some of the Seniors to Kokobananas – nice group. Later that night we went to the airport with the Leota’s and AP’s to do 2 things – drop off Rachel Leota to take the plane to NZ to get her visa for her mission (she has gone past one MTC date, waiting for her visa) and to pick up the Gertsch’s – the new CES couple to teach institute at Magiagi (and they will work with PEF). Prior to that, I did the shopping for some food for them and cleaned their house to make sure it was ok. They have a crew come in to do it but there are always those areas that need extra care. This falls under our responsibility as Senior Zone Leaders.
The Gertsch’s are really nice – from Midway Utah. We had them over for supper Sat. night with the Bonilla’s. In the next month we will have a few more new couples as the Merrell’s and Webers are leaving and replacements are coming. There is also a Dr. coming, through the government so they won’t be missionaries but will live in our housing and attend FHE, etc.
![]() |
| Roy & the AP's (Rodgers & Funaki) at the airport |
We had our 38th anniversary last week – we went to dinner at the Tusitala Hotel – 2 other couples came and we had a nice supper. We worked at the temple on our actual day so we went out the next night. It is really nice to go out– I get tired of trying to fix good meals and things just don’t always turn out right and I am getting tired of the things that do. My baked goods just don’t shine like they do at home – probably the flour, etc. Who knows? Anyway, I try.
We have had a wonderful week of rain – I love it as the air is a little cooler. We have had a leak in our laundry room that floods part of the floor everytime it rains – but they have mostly fixed it. Well yesterday I was cleaning the floor out there and notice coming out from by the base of the sink cabinet something that looked like a string with a pompom on it. It was a fungus of some kind that looked like a variety of mushroom. Most interesting and no, I didn’t think to take a picture of it as I had pulled at it before I realized what it was.
![]() |
| a garden with coconut husks for mulch |
Last Wednesday night Rachel Leota consented to teach any of us (and there were only 2) to do some basic steps in Samoan dancing. I loved it – I don’t have many opportunities to dance but when I do, hopefully I will remember. We should have another class or two before she leaves for her March 6 MTC date.
Monday evening was our Valentine FHE and the temple group was in charge. It was so nice - they decorated the Service Center board room and had wonderful food - of course, when Sister Fonoimoana is involved. She is a fabulous cook. Each FHE group was to perform 2-3 items - music or poems. Well, our group was first so Sister Gertsch read a really nice reading about not waiting until our loved ones are gone to tell them we love them. Roy surprised me and read a couple of Valentine poems that he changed a few words to. One was "Kathy kissed me" and the other was "A Valentine for my Wife" or something like that. I am not a cryer but it was so touching that I almost did! I then played and sang "Three Coins in the Fountain". Well, it went on to the other groups and they did cowboy poetry! It was funny and nice because Bro. Hanson had written them himself but nothing to do with love or sweethearts - just trucks and cowboys. Someone then read the poem of "Casey at the Bat" or some baseball poem. I was beginning to feel a little foolish for having done something romantic but that is the theme of Valentine's isn't it? The Temple group ended with singing songs as a group and Pres. & Sister Fitisimanu sang a duet. The main theme of their music was love at home and the gospel. We ended with a video of some paintings of Christ's live. It was very nice overall.
Yesterday, Valentine's Day, I stayed home in the afternoon when Roy went to do his training. I got a call from Lani Smolik from the Service Center saying that Moana (one of the secretaries) needed someone to help her YW group make cookies for their activity. Someone lined up couldn't do it. Well, that is OUR ward. I was so excited and talked to the leader and arranged to have the girls come to our home to do it as the church has no baking pans, mixer, etc. and I had no car to take all the stuff there. (Besides, our home is a little cleaner than the church kitchen). It was a wonderful "afiafi" (evening) and the girls are so sweet. When they left, the dishes were all done, the kitchen spotless and the floor was swept. I am going to help them with some cards for Mother's Day and also the Theme for 2012 Theme Song. I am downloading it and have the sheet music printed off so they can learn it. It is nice to have a focus in our own ward. The leaders and girls are really sweet and most speak English - of course. Moana asked if I had any ideas for New Beginnings - any of you that have any ideas, can you pass them along to me? Thanks.
![]() |
| YW with their cups with their names on them |
![]() |
| icing the cookies |
![]() |
| mixing the cookies |
Roy has been busy working on a new cover for the year book we give to the missionaries when they leave. This new cover is at the request of Pres. Leota and has the temple on the front, as well as the motto that is on our mission t-shirts.
| front of t-shirt |
![]() |
| back of t-shirt |
The Service Center installed a satellite for our TV this week - we can now see CNN, BBC, Discovery and have a few more choices than 3 local and religious channels. I do love the commercials that the Samoans make - they are witty, fun to watch and well done.
I will leave you with my favorite scripture - Proverbs 3:5-6. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart--- etc. I know that is the basis of all my life. I trust in the Lord and his timing and hope you all do too.







No comments:
Post a Comment