Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September 27, 2011


Another week and we still don’t have much rain – the grass is crunchy and there are water shutoffs here and there all over the island.  We had no water at the Mission Home for almost one day.  I feel so involved with the junior missionaries and a few of them have no water in their tanks and have to go to member’s homes to shower.  The church takes trucks around to fill the tanks that are connected to all the churches, and this is where most of the missionaries live.  Some of them just need the tanks cleaned out before they can be refilled.  Lots of the missionaries have to boil their water and this inhibits the amount they drink sometimes.  Of all the ailments I deal with, most are caused by dehydration and I constantly encourage them to drink niu (young coconut) which replenishes electrolytes, as much water as possible  and stop drinking soda.  They are so sweet to deal with – I just love seeing so many of them on Mondays (p-day).  As nurse, I do a Medical Minute in the newsletter and this month it will focus on dehydration, which has been covered many times before.  I have made up a word search with Samoan and English words for them to find and hopefully they will enjoy the “Moment” and read the write-up I have to go with it.

We visited with Amuia on the weekend and their village has no water.  Nance was gone to the river to bathe and wash clothes.  He had no idea why there was no water and we wonder if it has to do with the lack of rain.  The small rivers around the island are just dry creek beds right now.

A couple of weeks ago we went on a detective trip to find the family of the Curries’ adopted grandchildren.  They had left a book to be given to them and we delivered it.  They live way up inland and we even had a walk of about 10 minutes into the bush to where they lived, after we parked the car.  They have no electricity and live in very humble circumstances. 

We have two missionaries in our ward and had them over for dinner for enchiladas one Sunday.  Elder Johnson was quite happy and Elder Alesana did ok too – until we started talking about weird food and we gave him a dill pickle!  Now Johnson teases him about being hungry and they could always go to the Harker’s for a pickle!   
One of the missionaries told me the other day that a Samoan had told him that Samoans don’t eat until they are full – they eat until they are tired!!!  I mentioned that to one young lady in our ward on Sunday and she just laughed and said that is so true!


Farmer Joe’s is where we do a lot of our grocery shopping (other than the market for our veggies & fruit) and I took this picture of the clerks who were dressed up for the latest rugby game.  Go Manu!
My, what a treat to listen to BYU TV in our living room and hear the Women’s Broadcast from Salt Lake City on Sunday.  We are so blessed to have such vibrant leaders in our organizations as well as the First Presidency.  I was impressed that within a couple of hours of Pres. Uchtdorf’s talk about the forget-me-not flowers and the things we shouldn’t forget, someone had made a visual on their blog and it was sent to me by Chelsea.  That will be one talk I am sure will be studied in RS next year.  We are excited to hear General Conference next Sat & Sun and we can see it in our home like a lot of you can at home.  We will go to the Stake Center for one session, probably.


This “flower” arrangement was at the Garden Party at the RLS Museum.  Isn’t it amazing what you can do with leaves?
I have been attending the staff meeting for the mission home and what a privilege to be involved and get to know the Mission President better.  The Assistants to the President are wonderful young men too and it will be hard to see them return home in December.  I know new ones will be chosen but the “changing of the guard” is always hard. 
I have a sewing machine that works thanks to my sister Rhonda.  What a pleasure to be able to confidently make and fix things.  She sent it through the mail to the American Samoan address and it mostly made it ok.  We also got a package today from my dad and sister-in-law and now have a decent pencil sharpener and goodies.  Thanks!
Well, we send our love to you all – give the grandkids big hugs from Nana & Papa.  We pray constantly for wisdom, protection and the blessings we all stand in need of.



1 comment: