What a treat to listen to General Conference – all in English. I always feel sorry for those who listen to translations of the messages as they don’t hear the Prophet’s voice – they only hear the translators. We were not able to get it on our TV so we went next door to the Stake Center at 6:00 am. It was cool enough for me to need a sweater, actually. Between the two Saturday sessions we went for a breakfast buffet at Aggie Grey’s with the other seniors and the mission pres and his family. As we were watching, I thought about all the different places our family and friends were watching the same thing we were and yet each person’s impressions would be like the breakfast buffet – we make up our own plates and they will be similar yet different from the other person’s plate. The talks that impressed me may differ from the ones you were moved by.
![]() |
| These arrangements were at the front of the chapel - notice the small purple flowers are just inserted in the white and the carving on the chapel pulpits |
We have three elders leaving tomorrow to go home so I did their exit medical visits. My, how sad for these young people to not know if they will ever come back again. One fellow lives in Hawaii so he will certainly keep a connection with Samoa but when you are from Florida, what are the chances of coming back? Roy’s legacy here is certainly not the norm. The young elders love to come in on Mondays and visit with Roy, quite impressed that the old guy still retains his language!
Ok – I was creeped out yesterday when I got the vacuum from the laundry room and something was dragging along with the wand – a dead, huge, ugly centipede! He was not invited to the party so how did he get in!!! At least he was dead so I know that the poisons we have out and the spraying is doing it’s job but still !!!!!
Roy has had a couple of down days where people have cancelled or he has gone the hour’s drive and no one has shown up. This weekend he didn’t go on Sat. or Sunday as it was conference so this week will be starting again. Commitment seems to be a problem all over the world as we find with other’s serving mission have reported.
![]() |
| This Ti plant is so dry and thirsty - right beside the Distribution Center - we need rain! |
I have submitted my first “Medical Minute” to the newsletter and now will start on the next month’s. I haven’t had any feedback about the word search so I don’t know if it is worth doing again. I also have to give a small presentation at the Zone Leader’s Conference (via skype to Savaii and Pago, with the Upolu ZL’s in the office here), along with the Office Couple and I think the Housing Couple.
We are having a house guest this week for about a month – a fellow Roy taught in the LTM and he is coming to do some research on native dancing. Should be interesting.
Well, I will close for now. We love hearing from you all.
Love, Kathy & Roy






Wow those flowers are so beautiful. I think it is so nice how they make things look nice at all your events. I hope Roy has a better week coming up. I could really go for a Samoan breakfast buffet right now (I am having all sorts of cravings lately.... remember the Elder who talked about Fried chicken in his talk? Well I have been thinking about fried chicken WAY too much ever since!)
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how much we enjoy your blog and your photos. It all just floods back. The chapel flowers always impressed me. What the talented women can do with things right in their front yard! I miss that and so much more. It sounds like Roy is having much the same results that Craig had. Some success and some frustrations. But from when we were there things seem to have greatly moved forward. We went to the Price/Haleck reunion on Friday and and it was so great. First to see Pres. Price up and doing so well and to meet the Halecks. What a great couple. We had fun visiting with the Smart's, Walker's, Argyle's, Robertson's, & Winegars, along with some of the Jr. missionaries we knew in Samoa. It was fun to see some of them with their wives and babies and some with Samoan wives. It is amazing to hear about and see the results of the drought in Samoa. It is hard to imagine! I could go on and on but this is not the place. We miss you and you are in our prayers each day.
ReplyDeletei thought about you as I sat and watched conference. Wondering if you were going to get up and watch at early o'clock in the morning. Conference is always such a blessing. I know what Shar means about the cravings... any suggestion gets me in trouble. I stew and think about it until I finally indulge.
ReplyDelete