I haven’t written for a couple of weeks and have been pretty busy. Our emotions have been right beside those of you in Magrath as four of our dear youth were tragically killed in an accident last week. The father of one of the girls was quoted in one article I read saying “it was an accident and that is just what it means, an accident – no one is to blame.”
![]() |
| MJ - reading a book on our drive up to Vailima |
![]() |
| Jackie & Joe (9 months) He pulled a hot pot of noodles onto his head, thus the burn |
Right now I am sitting in the fale at the Tafatafa chapel while Roy works with the clerks. We gave a young mother from our ward a ride up to Vailima and I came along and thought I could spend some nice time outside with the birds and breeze. We had a really nice rainstorm this am and without the sun to chase away the effects of the rain, it is quite pleasant. We have had a few showers this week so here’s hoping our prayers will continue to be answered.
Last Sunday was our ward primary program – delightful. The kids were all dressed in white and I was so tempted to sneak a picture. The spirit they brought to the meeting was as universal as children are. Even though they spoke and sang in Samoan it was such a delight. Two little girls had on white veils to go with their dresses and one had a head band with bobble stars! I did get a picture of a couple of the young ladies outside that were dressed just nicely – one sang a solo and it was quite pleasant.
I mentioned the phone bills I have been going through each month. Well, a couple of weeks ago I woke up to the phone ringing about 12:38 am and missed it. I tried to call back but no answer. Ok, this time I left my earplugs out and tried to go back to sleep. About 1:00 in the am it rang again and I answered it …. Samoan mumbling, whispering and I said “This is Sister Harker – who is this?” twice and then they hung up. Well, I just happen to have a list of all the numbers on the computer at work and went through and sure enough, it was the phone that had the worst record last month for middle of the night calls and texts. I feel so sorry for this elder’s companion as it must be a nightmare living with this character. (yes, I informed the mission president)
The sister missionaries are so darling. There are two of them that have purchased outfits that match and they are just adorable. At the mission conference this Friday I noticed that a couple of the others had matching outfits as well. The new mission dress standards are a little more up to date and colorful. The sisters here do have to deal with bishops in some of the back areas that insist they dress like the elders – white shirts and black skirts. One set was even told to go home and come back dressed like missionaries – they obviously haven’t read the new guidelines.
![]() |
| the lawn |
There has been an array of interesting things with the junior missionaries. The “phone call” elder had a bike accident and his leg had really bad road rash. When he did it, he shaved his leg and scrubbed it! Well, a week later it was still oozing and his companion said he had scrubbed it again - with coconut husk! It is healing now after he has left it alone for a couple of weeks. Like Mereda, I have also helped with some of the elders minor sewing needs – bike bag that was coming undone, pants, etc. and told the couple in the office to send any my way that need anything sewn. It is fun to use our normal everyday talents to benefit some of the Lord’s servants. And sometimes, they just need to come into the air conditioned room, have a glass of cold water and just chat for a few minutes. Stamps are sold out of the nurse’s office too so we see lots passing through on Mondays.
![]() |
| our dry front lawn |
Friday Roy and I missed most of the morning session of our mission conference with Elder Kevin Pearson of the 70. We had a young missionary come in just before who had been drinking and the water bottle had knocked his tooth on a plate (about 1 ½ inches long) out and he had swallowed it! He felt like it was still in his throat. A trip to the National Hospital (the better hospital told us to go there – probably as he would need an x-ray and theirs is broken) produced no evidence (the dentist had already confirmed our thoughts that it wouldn’t show up as it was plastic) and we brought him back. He was very upset and really felt it was still there, but there is probably a scratch and swelling from the trauma. He was able to swallow painkillers, etc. and the Dr. in New Zealand was reassuring. The poor kid is probably really embarrassed and sad that he now has a gap in his teeth again after just getting this bridge a few months ago. He’s a local boy.
Elder Pearson and his wife were here for a tour for the 3 islands of Samoa and we were privileged to hear him in staff meeting, at FHE for the seniors and then again for the Upolu Mission Conference on Friday. I think his main message could be stated as “Be a Disciple all of your Life”. Our focus in the mission should also be to find the reason we are here – find the one person or responsibility that we came for. He emphasized that the number of baptisms isn’t important – it is what you as the missionary become. That strength is taken back into the wards and stakes and the gospel grows in that manner. Those missionaries will become the strong leaders that we need so desperately. Roy has found with the clerks he works with, the strongest are returned missionaries.
It was funny at one point when Elder Pearson said he had served his mission in Finland and there wasn’t a lot of success. His friend had gone to Mexico and they joked that every time they knocked on a door in Finland, someone in Mexico was baptized! They kept saying lets keep knocking on doors and do our part to help the church grow! We can relate to that a little as Brooke served her mission in Finland and was in the right place at the right time and helped 2 people find the truth.
The fireside on Thursday night had well over 2000 people at it we were told. We work in the temple that night so were not able to go but it was the same thing in Savaii, I guess. Elder Pearson is in the area presidency based in New Zealand so we may see him again sometime.
![]() |
| Lole - the young lady who translates for me in RS (and her young man) |
As I sit here typing, ready to post on the blog when I get back to the internet, it is so calming to hear the birds twittering and feel the lazy calm of Sunday afternoon in Samoa. There is an occasional car going by (heading in and out of the beach area) but most people are napping after their afternoon to'onai (traditional feed after church) and the roads are almost void of people walking. I did see two ladies just now walking in their Sunday white clothes, hat and all – so typical of the outlying regions of Samoa. A choir is singing in a church just down the hill and it is so heavenly. One of the brethren just brought me a cup of koko samoa – hmmmmmm, jealous anyone? I make it at home occasionally but there is something nice about a Samoan making it – it just tastes better!
There is only one more week until we have a new Temple Presidency. Tomorrow we will have our farewell Seniors FHE for them (supper and short program). I love the presidency we have now and will love the new ones too (especially since Carl Fonoimoana will be staying on for another 3 year assignment as a counselor). Thursday is such a calming day – especially for me this week as I was rather agitated over a few things and came away much calmer.
Lance has done amazingly well in his reading and this week he made Clifford. He said he had never done anything like that before - it was awesome.
We hope this finds you all doing your best at whatever you do and that you are blessed with the righteous desires of your hearts!









A few things come to mind with this weeks post. First of all... NO CHILD SEATS!! That's all I could think about while looking at those first photos. Does that make you uncomfortable as a driver? Who is Lance? I don't recall you ever speaking of him. Did he make Clifford all by himself? Very well done. Better than I could do I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteAnd we are so proud of you guys and the work you are doing. We pray every night for Nana and Papa that they will do good work on their mission. Sounds like things are going well. You are keeping busy which is good.
How long ago did Elder Pearson serve in Finland? Did you tell him I served there?
I love your posts! You write well and capture our dear beloved Samoa which we love to visit through you. And we prepare for our own future mission (probably two years away as I won't be released from my present call until then)as we learn from your experiences. Thank you for your spirit and for your dedication to this blog. It is always a highlight in my day when you have a new post.
ReplyDelete