At the end of this month, we will have been in the mission field for 6 months, one third of the way. One couple in our mission is leaving for home Dec.2 after serving 2 years on the island of Savaii doing member/leadership support. They are amazing, especially as they are nearing their 80’s and have done a wonderful job over there. They take care of the missionaries located on Savaii with some of their medical needs as well and will be missed in that capacity.
![]() |
| This is the true coloring of the sea one evening when we just needed to go for a drive and see the beauty of Samoa |
Roy is nearing the end of his session in this stake he is working in and will move on. It is so sad to see how little some of the bishops and clerks are grasping, but he can’t stay with them forever. They actually need a live in couple to stay in the village and be leadership support but with so few couples serving missions and this being our idea, not the mission’s idea, it won’t happen.
We are certainly grateful for technology that aids in our communication with home. Being able to see our grandkids occasionally and talk to my dad, our children and occasionally our brothers and sisters is a real blessing. Being able to read the Lethbridge Herald obits (we are able to get it now for some reason – we couldn’t for a couple of months) keeps us in the loop of life (and death) too.
![]() |
| Life in the nurse's office - the middle fellow is the AP and going home in a couple of weeks |
Our dear sister-in-law Celia Harker had a trick played on her on Halloween instead of a treat. She had a stroke and is recovering in the hospital in Calgary. We were able to talk to her by phone yesterday and rejoice with her in the improvements she has made and pray for the continued success she needs in getting her left side to move more completely.
![]() |
| Can you read this that was on the back of the lady in front of me at choir? Phat Islanders, Brown & Proud! |
Finally, there is a choir practicing for the Christmas Stake musical program which is when? I will be here no matter when it is but I haven’t asked the right person to know. I enjoy learning the Samoan songs and will certainly feel this will bring the spirit of Christmas to me. I am usually involved in something musical and it hasn’t happened so far this mission except for twice for a seniors program or lesson. Well, last night was the first practice I have been to because I didn’t know it was going on. As I was driving to the church down past the Pesega School, I noticed a very brown person that was a little chubby and was not particularly beautiful, walking along the school sidewalk stark naked! I really wanted to take a picture to prove I had seen it but then thought a missionary wouldn’t do that so I didn’t! I am sure the person’s elevator didn’t go to the top floor and I feel sad she made a public spectacle of herself.(She should have at least had on a t-shirt like the one in the picture above!)
Dr. Burton called tonight from New Zealand to ask some questions as he will be coming on a tour of Samoa’s medical facilities and non-facilities. He will come after the new nurse comes on the 18th, most likely during the beginning of December, and I will be involved as I am going to set up a schedule, etc. I actually saw a picture of him today as he was at the Mission President’s Conference the Leotas went to in Australia last week, so I can now put a face to the voice I have relied on so much while acting as nurse. My brother John’s mission President was in the picture too and it was nice to see his and Tanya’s familiar faces.
Since most of you have gone back to regular time and we have jumped ahead on daylight savings time, we are only 3 hours behind MST. We are so far away but not really.
![]() |
| Just a flick of the fish market in town |
Our lesson in RS on Sunday was given by the RS President and she was so kind to tell me just before she began what talk from the Liahona she took it from and I found it on my IPod. The topic was forgiveness from the March Liahona (Ensign) and I felt it was such an answer to my own prayers as I have been trying to study the topic a bit. I certainly didn’t go through anything like the lady who wrote it had, but the general principle of forgiving even if the person is unrepentant is what I took from the talk. We free ourselves from “burning the house down because there is a rat in it” and can rid of ourselves of the hatred we feel. I think I enjoyed it so much because I was able to read along and kind of be in the same spot as the rest of the class. With the help of Jackie Scanlan who was translating for me, I was able to follow some of the sisters comments as well.
![]() |
| Ah, this is MJ and he left the RS room for a bit and came back looking like this - adorable! |
I have been asking at the Distribution Center if the copies of Daughters in My Kingdom, the RS history book that has just come out, were available and this time they gave me one. They said they weren’t available but then came up with an English copy and I don’t think they have very many. I was so excited to get one and have enjoyed reading in it. I haven’t said anything to anyone here as I don’t think they have them for the general public yet.
It has been a rather intense week at the mission home as there were two elders sent home early - so sad. We had another sent home early a couple of weeks ago but he went honorably due to some health issues.
I leave you as I listen to the rain pouring down on the nurse's office roof - such a lovely sound. We know our prayers are answered - just sometimes not in our timing, in the Lord's timing.
Love, Kathy/Roy, Mom/Dad, Elder/Sister Harker





Mom, you really don't think a 19 year old would take a picture of a naked person walking around?
ReplyDeleteSo you are only 2 hours behind us now. hopefully you are adjusting better than Neko & Huxley. They don't even notice the time difference, but we do.
Thanks for your post and sharing all your nice thoughts. I am glad that you are going to be participate in the christmas choir. Our ward is not even having one as they do not have anyone who can lead it...so sad.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful picture of the ocean- I wonder if we will ever get to experience that again first hand? You never know I guess.
you know Ian wouldn't have hesitated to take a photo of the naked lady on his mission!!!
ReplyDeleteSad to hear about the elders are being sent home. It is for the good of the whole mission though if they are not performing as they should. Oh if I could afford a ticket out to see you I would come and join you for Christmas!!!