Monday, November 21, 2011

November 21, 2022


I haven't written for a couple of weeks - so busy.
P'day
November has an overload of “birfdays” – Chelsea Nov. 6, Jeremy Innis and Lukas Innis on Nov. 12, Roy and Graham Innis on Nov. 13, Daniel and McKay Bateman on Nov. 14 and Graham Harker on November 19 – did I miss any?  We had german chocolate cake (surprise, surprise!) and went out to dinner the night before Roy’s with the Merrells and they came back for cake.  We had left over cake the next day with the AP’s – they were at the mission home kitchen just making something to eat as their family who was supposed to have them over for dinner just gave them money that day!  On Sunday!  Well, Roy had to go to an appointment so we just had them over for cake and they couldn’t come to eat later with us as they had a fireside to go to.  Roy’s schedule is not in line with most people’s so we do things at odd times.  We aren’t able to go to a lot of the firesides or things due to having to accommodate when the clerks are available. 

New computers were installed last week at the mission offices and I have been trying to get things in order for the nurse who is came on Friday.  We saved most everything but the desktop is clear and the favorites on the internet site is empty so I have been trying to make it more convenient to find the MedLog, etc.  It is fun to do it myself and figure out how (Roy was gone to an appointment while I did it).  We printed and bound yearbooks too for the outgoing missionaries who leave in December.

Last week at AhMu I had the year two’s (who have been feeling left out that they don’t get to come for story/singing time).  They were ok but not quite as attentive as the year 3 & 4s.  It was a challenge as there was a class right next door with about 50 older students who were practicing some songs for their Prize Giving Day at the beginning of December.  I loved hearing them but we were competing for the attention of my students.  One of the teachers was sitting just outside the door with a tiny puppy in his/her lap and feeding it kokoalaisa (cocoa rice) – interesting choice of food.

What a treat we have occasionally – there was a practice across the fence at the church for the Christmas program – I LOVE Christmas music.  To hear it in Samoan is just delightful and is getting me into the mood.  I just wish I had some strings of lights to hang up.

We have a new book of President Monson’s Teachings.  It just came out this year and Brother Austin gave it to us when he was here.  It is a fingertip resource for many subjects and I enjoy just randomly flipping through and finding some words of wisdom.  They are too long to write down here but I do enjoy reading them.

My walks in the mornings have taken a new turn - I go to the church next door and walk around the perimeter of the parking lot as there are no dogs or cars to bother me.  Roy hadn’t been going lately due to a sore foot so I have done a lot by myself.  It gives me some time alone to think and ponder and pray.  It really is rather nice to be all alone as I am seldom alone and I love the solitude of the morning.  It is also close enough and with some shelter if it rains I could get out of the downpour until it was good to trek home.  I should be glad that I am not fighting icy roads and winter storms to go for a walk but I am actually a little jealous of the cooler weather you all are having.  I love winter.

I have been super busy lately with Elders coming in, meetings, planning the schedule for the Dr. visit in December and charting.  It is a blessing to be busy though. 

Christmas is coming and we are doing a service project at AhMu – cleaning the walls, painting the walls and painting the trim – inside and out.  We will have the seniors in charge of some rooms with the juniors there doing a lot of the work.  We are going to have trim done the second paint day as I don’t want paint brushes with cream used in blue or being washed out but not completely and having shades of cream and blue here and there. 

Our Christmas Choir concert for the Stake is in a couple of weeks and I am enjoying practicing with the ward.  It is so hot though and people sit very close to each other.  People kiss each other on the cheek a lot too and it takes some getting used to kissing Samoan sweaty faces!  But there is a lot of love and camaraderie that is pleasant to be a part of. The bishop is leading us in a song that is originally an Assembly of God song and he has only written the words up on the board - no music so I am learning by listening to the other altos what notes to sing - it is really hard for me who uses music to learn.  I love  it though.


November 19, 2011
Happy Birfday Graham  - Said Samoan style.

Elder Johnson, Elder Petelo and Pollyanna
We have been asked to speak in church next Sunday and the topic is D&C 6:2-4.  I have been asked if we would like a musical number and of course I said yes.  After choir on Wednesday, I took the music to Christ of the Islands and Donna, Eveline and I are going to sing with Kumora is playing the piano.  I can’t believe the difference it has made to actually be involved in something – I am beginning to feel like I belong.  After the meeting, everyone plays volleyball in the court with the flood light on and it is so island, casual, loving, and I have needed this feeling for this ward   as we have not even had an interview with the bishop or been given callings, or anything.  I have a little sweetie who sits with me in RS and plays with me outside after choir and her name is Pollyanna – about 4 years old. Her mother has to sit with her in Primary and help her learn to stay there.

As for the talk, I am trying to put our mission in context with that scripture.  For senior missionaries to “thrust in his sickle with his might and reap while the day lasts” has a different meaning than for Junior missionaries.  They are God’s Army on the battle front, so to speak, while we are in the background keeping the home fires burning and things ready for them to do their best.  I really have come to know that our talents are used, and we never know where or what for.  When we were called, it was quite unsettling to be at the MTC and not have a specific course of direction – just office training and member/leadership support with no direct focus (ie, housing and vehicles, financial secretary, etc.)  Well, the first couple of weeks in Samoa was interesting as Roy developed the strategy to use with the clerks teaching them to do membership records, etc. and his Samoan and his computer training were exactly what was needed.  We couldn’t have planned that out ourselves -  the Lord is really in charge, that is for sure.  As for me, I was wondering what I was here for besides supporting Roy, and that is a big part of being here.  Who would know the nurse would go home early and I could step in and take her place to care for the needs of the Junior Missionaries?  There was no one to help except a few notes left behind so kindly by the nurse who left early (the mission president and wife were just newly here also) so I managed,  with a lot of prayer, to get a workable system going.  I will be busy for the next few weeks training the new nurse and accompanying her and Dr. Burton (our area medical authority based in New Zealand) on a tour to view the medical facilities, especially in the remote parts of the islands.  I have picked up a few assignments along the way and Sister Leota has promised to keep me busy helping her.  I do know that no matter what else comes along, I will do my best and just try to be of service.

The Hansons from Payson, Utah
The Hansons arrived Friday afternoon – new nurse couple.  Uh oh – no luggage!  They have been two full days with only two outfits.  They were able to buy some garments late Friday afternoon and Roy loaned a couple of shirts to Elder Hanson and then Sister Leota gave him 4 shirts yesterday –  she keeps a stock of things in her missionary cupboard.  We have had a delightful time getting to know them and tomorrow the work begins.  Good news - their luggage will arrive on island late tonight.

We went to the open market Saturday to buy fruits and vegetables and then took a trip out along the east coast.  You just have to put your feet in the warm sea as soon as possible!  We did some supper at Seafood Gourmet and then yesterday, they came to our church with us and over for dinner.  They have been assigned to the Alafua Ward but didn’t know at the time we made the dinner arrangement, etc.  Roy has his last assignment with the Tafatafa Ward today and then he will be onto another Stake so we needed to have dinner early, as he is gone until almost choir time.

We are going to Savaii with the Hansons on Thursday and Friday to view the medical facilities over there.  The Krogh’s are leaving to come back to Upolu next Monday as they are leaving to go home so this is a bit rushed but we need to do it before they leave as they have taken such good care of the elders and sisters over there.

Well, the church is true and we are happy to be a part of the work.
Love you all.



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Mom! You are doing a wonderful job over there. I am sad that we won't be able to come and put our feet in the warm sea as soon as possible! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do sound really busy. You also sound really happy! It is so nice that things are going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "COOLER WEATHER"? That is an understatement. I think you would be ok with about 10-15 degrees... not the minus -20 we have been having. You sound wonderful and very busy. Keep up the good work. We love you lots.

    ReplyDelete